The Kalita Wave makes for an easy and accessible pour over brew method. Great if you’re on the go – the flat-bottom filter helps with even extraction.
Kalita Wave brewer
Kalita Wave filter
21g (3 tablespoons) coffee – medium grind
Hot water just off the boil
- For best results start with whole bean coffee and grind with a burr grinder just before brewing.
- Pour over and through coffee grounds – not over filter. Start in the center and pour in a steady spiral toward the outer rim or start at the outer rim and pour in a steady spiral toward the center – even extraction is the objective.
- Relax and have fun with this – brewing coffee is not an exact science.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Insert filter in brewer. Place brewer on top of mug and rinse filter with hot water – preheating brewer and mug in the process. Discard water before moving on to Step 3.
- Add coffee grounds (flat and level) and place brewer and mug on scale. Tare scale to zero.
- Start timer and add 60g of water within the first 10 seconds, evenly saturating the grounds and causing them to bloom – rising and bubbling as the coffee degasses.
- Give it a good stir.
- Once timer hits 0:45 add an additional 140g of water over the next 15 seconds – bringing the total weight to 200g at 1:00.
- Over the next 60 seconds, add an additional 175g of water in 25-50g bursts (evenly saturating grounds) until your scale reads 375g at 2:00.
- Let drain and you’ll have about 10oz of coffee in your mug once the timer hits 3:00, at which point your work is done.
- Serve and enjoy